Friday, December 26, 2008

Ready, get set, Go (On behalf of a friend)

She is weird, she is a mystery. She wants the world to know her thoughts, but wants someone else to tell them.
Here is the blog I am hosting for Preeti -

Barely been a month since I made it to ISB….and my colleague frowned at my watch today suggesting its time for me to now buy a trendy corporate watch and lose this “college watch”…. an year form now I can picture another moron tell me how I now ought to give up driving tiny Altos…… stop living in 2 BHKs with no swimming pool or worse no golf course, stop carrying packed lunch to work and that 2nd class is for untouchables!!

So is this what life is going to become? Is my life “All Set” for me like every pseudo around me echos … Am I gonna take up just the right job (make more than I can spend), live away from particle filled Indian pollution and buy veggeis only from Spencer’s…. oh are we also expected to wear designer clothes now??!?

Its bad enough I bump into increasingly brand conscious junta everywhere, I have to now put up with these illogical social expectations. I mean I am someone who will take the public bus and not the auto whenever time permits, have chai in Santhi Sagar, bargain in Commercial Street, go to the local parlor in my neighborhood and know the Kirana store uncle by his name. Treating my folks Barbeque Nation is still an occasional luxury, flying (I’ve only flown once ) is still like going to Disney Land ( no I haven’t been there either). There’s something about ppl with Blackberrys and laptops, I don’t want to belong there. Maybe I don’t want to give in to them.

I dunno if its just coincidence or I’ve become overly perceptive after ISB…. Everyday I bump into someone I don’t wanna become after ISB. I don’t wanna be the person who beats stress flying planes in Malaysia every year. To me non- AC is perfectly normal, saving to buy my mom a microwave is the achievement of the year and I still meet ppl cus they are nice, not cus I am “networking”.

So this New Year, the resolution right on top of my list is gonna be “Don’t lose yourself”.

Everything on my shopping list will not be prefixed “Imported” after ISB. And yes, my journal and junk jewelry will continue to be the only 2 things I will run for if my house is on fire. No, I will not turn into them. I will be me.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

A very long long time since I read such a Dil-Se post. Kudos ! I think its basic human nature to typecast everything. I can relate to your post except that the same happened to me when I was graduating from Engg. college. People expected me to buy pair of Allen Solly with my first salary. But I chose to instead buy my mom a good watch !

Shadab said...

"In India I found a race of mortals living upon the Earth, but not adhering to it. Inhabiting cities, but not being fixed to them, possessing everything but possessed by nothing."

- Apollonius Tyanaeus(Greek Thinker and Traveller 1st Century AD)

Unknown said...

a very well comprised emotion or rather tendency of anyone in such situation.well described emotion.is that so when you are there,people start expecting more from you or is that the least expected.....

Deb said...

I can relate to what you have written. I hate this attitude. Now I've developed a thick skin and I don't care about what people say. Good to know that there are people like me going to ISB.

Deeps said...

Am really impressed the way you write and the most touching part of this blog is "To me non- AC is perfectly normal, saving to buy my mom a microwave is the achievement of the year". Do not get changed ever, be like this always..

Pari said...

Hi...a very nice observation from life! These moments come for every other person....at various levels. Anyways, keep up your thoughts. :)

Harsha Kumar said...

Hey.. Loved the post. The way you write reminds me a lot of Anthony Bourdain from "No reservations" on TLC..