Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Nervousness, wait, anxiety, euphoria, connections, lull

All these emotions/things have been going on in the last few days, in the same order.
It starts after I submitted my application at ISB, and got an interview date. As this was my first ever application to any B-school, I really wasn't sure that I was doing everything right and after going through the process I realize now that I could have done better.
But now, it doesn't matter :)

I am not used to wearing a suit, and was quite uncomfortable in one during the interview day. Add to it the fact that my interview was late in the evening and I reached quite early, and my nervousness will be clear. My friend and c0-applicant Archana was in the interview room when I reached and was waiting to hear her interview experience. She was pretty relaxed after the interview and that soothed my nerves. Went to the registration hall after that, and after a short essay and long wait, I heard my named called..
Now comes the interview experience --

Mr Menon came out to call me in the interview room. There was one alum along with him.
Mine was among the last interviews and the alum started as soon as I entered.

- We talked about my work at Amazon and what the company does in general.
- We discussed about why I want to do an MBA and I gave examples of people in my company.
- The alum was concerned about me being a core techie (involved in robotics in IITB and then working at Amazon in software) and whether I would be able to interact with managers with high work ex. I talked a bit about non-techie aspects of my personality. (This is interesting)

Alum. So you write poems !!
Me. Yes, mostly on day to day topics like birthdays, some event, greetings

Alum. Since when do u write ?
Me. Since I was in love for the first time.
The alum was pretty happy on hearing this. It was the high point of the interview. (I had also decided on which of my poems I was going to recite, if asked to do so)

After this, Mr. Menon spoke for the first time during the whole interview and gave me a "estimate the number" type of question, in which I thought I didnt really do well and this made me believe that my chances of getting in are not so good.
But seems that this question was just to kill time and that I was already in.

Then wait started for the results. Couple of days before Nov 20th (day of the results), people invented all sort of theories and posted on pagal guy. Posts like "I think the results will be out in another hour" had everyone hooked. Came the d-day and never in my life I had used F5 as much as I did that day. After almost giving heart-attack to quite a few, the results finally started pouring in after 9 PM. I got the holy mail, I could just read Congratulations!! and rest of the mail got blurred :D
Now comes the toughest part. As someone pointed - "you must have been jumping up and down from inside". Yes I was, as I couldn't do it on outside. Was in office that time and had an hour long telephonic meeting. I swear I didn't understand a word of what was said, and was just making a list to people to call. Heck, I was too excited to sleep that night.

After a couple of days, the itch started to get a glimpse of the future and hence we decided for a get together of Hyd junta. Really interesting people, specially a 36 year old (Ram, sorry for revealing), who has done engineering, MBA, worked as project manager in Europe, LLB and right now is in real estate business. Am sure Ram will help me in getting a good house in hyd for competitive price. So, you see, networking helps :P

I got my roll number (PG id) from ISB couple of days back and now it seems more real. But, there will be a lull for next few months before the tempo picks up when the session starts in April.

Will keep posting on the developments till then.

Ahh... I wish that April wasn't that far. Can't wait to get started !!

No comments: